This is for everyone who owns a website and is wondering why after all this time it still isn’t showing up anywhere near the first page in Google.
Here are 7 things you must do in order to start climbing the ladder.
1. Does Google even know your website exists?
If your website doesn’t show up in any Google search, not even far down the results it is possible Google hasn’t indexed your site yet.
• One of the easiest ways to let Google know your website exists is to open a Google+ account, add a ‘Page’ and then add your website to it.
2. Identify your keywords and keyword phrases
Make a list of at least 10 words and/or short phrases (of maximum 4 words each) for which you want people to find your website.
3. Make sure these keywords and phrases appear in your website’s content
– Use your most important keywords or keyword phrases in the title of each of your website’s pages (H1 tag*).
– Next important keywords go high in the text, or in paragraph titles (H2 tag*).
– Repeat important keywords or keyword phrases near the end of the page.
Note! Avoid repeating keyword phrases more than 3 times in the content of a page. Search engines like Google will punish you for this and your website ranking will go down.
* More information on the importance of the use of H1 and H2 tags.
4. Use your important keywords and phrases in the title> and description> tags of the HTML code of your page
The most important go in the title, the secondary in the description*.
• Make sure to create an easy to read and appealing text. This is what people will see in the Google search results. Even if you make it to the first page, nobody will click on a result that doesn’t make sense!
* More information on these (meta) tags.
5. Make sure to put your keywords in the ALT and TITLE attributes of the image> tag
Do this for every image on the website; photos, logo, graphics, any file that ends with .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png.
Content Management Systems like WordPress and Joomla allow you to set these attributes when you upload an image to your library.
Note! Be careful which text you put in the ALT and TITLE attributes. If a visitor hovers over the image with the mouse this text pops up; in some browsers this will be the alt text, for others the title text.
6. Get other websites to link to yours
– Ask them to use My Important Keyword Phrase as link text instead of www.mywebsite.com
– Try to get links from other websites in your branch. This is your link neighborhood and Google looks at who is living there.
Note! Don’t be tempted to use services that offer 100 links to your website for
€ 3,- or something similar. This will damage your link reputation.
7. Use a SEO plug-in
If you use a Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress or Joomla you can install a plug-in to help you with Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO is the science that helps you getting closer and closer to the first page in Google results.
• For WordPress there is a great plug-in called Yoast SEO.
If you don’t know how and where to implement these recommendations don’t wait and go find someone to help you. Improving your Google ranking takes time and you will only climb the ladder after you have taken the first step…
I greatly appreciate your feedback!
If you have any comments, or if you have another tip please leave it in the comment box below. ⬇